Basic Peace Officer Course

The East Texas Police Academy holds multiple Basic Peace Officer Courses (BPOC) across our service area. The BPOC is 775 hours of instruction, and typically lasts 20 weeks. Following successful completion of the BPOC, those meeting the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) licensing requirements will be eligible to take the peace officer licensing test.

BPOC tuition is $2,000. A non-refundable, $75.00 SPEAR facility-use fee will also be charged upon registration for the BPOC. Council of Governments' grant funding may be available for students depending on their sponsorship status. Due to recent changes to ETPA and KC tuition and fee schedules, please call us if you have any questions.

If you have any questions regarding current or future course scheduling or availability, please contact us 903.983.8663. 

2020 Basic Peace Officer Course Offerings


Start Date

End Date


Registration and Physical Assessment Dates

Tuition + Fees

Kilgore #326

November 2, 2020


Kilgore @ ETPA 

October 24, 2020

October 26, 2020


Texarkana #327 November 9, 2020 TBD Texarkana @ TTPD SOTC

October 24, 2020

October 26, 2020


Kilgore #328

February 15, 2021


Kilgore @ ETPA 

TBD: Jan/Feb 2021



Registration and Physical Fitness Assessment

Applicants must call the ETPA office to schedule an appointment on one of the Registration and Physical Assessment dates for the course. At this appointment, the applicant will turn in their completed application, register for the course, receive course paperwork and information, and be required to successfully pass the Entrance Fitness Evaluation. Applicants who are unable to pass the evaluation will not be accepted in the course. Applicants must make an appointment during one of the following sessions: 8:00 AM; 11:00 AM; 3:00 PM; 6:00 PM. Unless a billing agreement is in place with the applicant's employing agency, all tuition and fees must be paid after the applicant's registration, and prior to the start of the course. To schedule an appointment, please call Jaime Delgado at 903-983-8672.



The East Texas Police Academy requires that all applicants to the BPOC and NBPOC courses have a sponsoring agency. A chief administrator from any law enforcement agency in the State of Texas may sponsor a student. Sponsorship must be maintained by the student throughout the entire BPOC/NBPOC program. 

Agencies that sponsor a student are under no financial obligation and are not obligated to employ the student. The sponsoring agency is required to verify the eligibility of the student to attend the course, and to maintain certain required records. 


The Academy must maintain documentation of eligibility for enrollment in any licensing course. It is of the utmost importance that BPOC/NBPOC applicants download and use the ETPA specific forms. The Academy has a sponsorship requirement, meaning that your application must be sponsored by the chief administrator of a law enforcement agency in Texas. In addition to verifying your eligibility to enroll in the BPOC/NBPOC, your sponsoring agency is also required to maintain certain records. While your sponsoring agency will maintain the records it is required to, the East Texas Policy Academy is required to receive and/or maintain certain records based on your employment status.

Effective 02/01/2020, the application packets have been updated. Please download the updated packets below.

The required application packets can be accessed by clicking on the links below:


***Important Application Information*** 


Employed Cadet Application Packet


Non-Employed Application Packet


Download the ETPA FAST Form Here


ETPA Licensing Course Applicant Declaration Page


ETPA Personal History Statement



Notice Regarding Fingerprints:

You absolutely must use the ETPA provided, TCOLE approved FAST Pass fingerprint form. If you don’t, the FAST operators will not know to whom they should send the prints, nor will they be able to process your records.  Download and complete the FAST Pass form from our page only — it has all of our information pre-populated to ensure that there are no mistakes about which academy should receive the information from TCOLE.  The FAST Pass has step-by-step instructions on how to set up an appointment to have your prints done.  Don’t forget: you DO need to take the  FAST Pass with you when you get your prints done.



Notice Regarding Personal History Statements:

All students seeking entry to any licensing course must complete a Personal History Statement. The ETPA PHS must be turned in with the student's sponsorship. While the information may be identical, we require all applicants to compete the ETPA provided PHS.



Information for Non-Employed / Guaranteed Commission Cadets:


This form must be completed and signed by a physician, physician's assistant, or a nurse practitioner. It is valid for 180 days after it is completed. The form must be accompanied with the L-2 Notice of Duties Form, which must be completed by the medical professional conducting the exam.


This form must be completed and signed by a psychiatrist or a licensed psychologist. It is valid for 180 days after it is completed. The form must be accompanied with the L-3 Notice of Duties Form, which must be completed by the medical professional conducting the exam.

Personal Documentation: 

Students must provide proof of education (See Sponsorship Form for requirements).

Students, when applicable, must provide copies of form DD-214.

Students must provide a completed C-1 Information Form if the student does not already have a TCOLE-issued PID number.

Students must provide proof of US citizenship by bringing a valid driver’s license and at least one of the following:  current US passport, US Naturalization Certificate, or a certified birth certificate.

All forms and documentation must be turned in before the first day of class.  Students who have not submitted all of the required paperwork will not be permitted to enroll.  Students or their employing/sponsoring agencies are responsible for all costs of the drug screen, physical exam, psychological exam, and any other related expenses.  Do NOT have the medical professional send ETPA an invoice for these services!

All copies of original documents must be either:

1.) Made by ETPA Staff.

2.) Be clearly marked as a copy, including the date and signature/name of the person making the copy from the original.

3.) A certified copy.



Effective September 1, 2013, state law requires that entering  students who are younger than 22 years of age and who are attending any public, private, or independent institution of higher education must provide that educational institution with proof of immunization against bacterial meningitis within the five years prior to enrollment.  The student must provide this documentation no later than 10 days prior to the beginning of the class.  

For purposes of this law, "entering student" means either a student who has never attended a class at the educational institution or a student who previously attended an institution of higher education before January 1, 2012, and who is enrolling in the same or another institution of higher education following a break in enrollment of at least one fall or spring semester.  

There exist limited exceptions to this law based on legitimate religious or medical objections; please contact the Office of the Registrar (903.983.8200) for additional information.

There are two types of bacterial meningitis vaccines that are acceptable.  They may be listed by full vaccine name, brand name, or abbreviation on students’ shot records.  A student’s shot record must list one of the following within the last five years to meet the bacterial meningitis vaccination requirement:

     Meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine:  Menomune or MPSV4

     Meningococcal conjugate vaccine:  Menactra or Menveo or MCV4

Students will not be permitted to enroll or attend any course unless this new documentation has been provided.  PLEASE do not wait to get this done — it is not an "optional" issue.  State law is very clear on this new requirement.



For those cadets who wish to live in on-campus housing, please be advised that the Texas legislature passed a new law which requires residents of on-campus housing to have a bacterial meningitis vaccination prior to move-in.  Kilgore College will not make a housing assignment on any student until this paperwork is on file in the Kilgore College Housing Office so as to comply with this law.  

Please take a look at for further information.  Students may also contact Residential Life Director Edward Williams at 903.988.7520 for additional help.

Notices:  (1.)  ETPA reserves the right to cancel, prior to the first day of class, any scheduled basic academy due to low enrollment; and (2.) please be advised that ETPA does not participate in the WIA (“Workers Investment Act”) Program as it relates to payment for the BPOC or NBPOC.  ETPA does not accept payment from this program for entrance into the BPOC or NBPOC.