Prior to the start of the BPOC/NBPOC program, students who have turned in a completed and approved application packet need to order their uniforms. ETPA currently has two vendors who provide ETPA specific uniforms and patches: Nardis Public Safety, and Galls. Both of these vendors offer competitive pricing, and maintain a list of required and/or approved ETPA uniforms.
Nardis Public Safety:
500 East Main Street,
Kilgore, TX 75662
Students wishing to order from Galls need to contact Vickie Gramling at ETPA for instructions.
Students are also required to wear black athletic shorts for physical training. The shorts may be any material, but must be plain black (a small logo is acceptable). Athletic shorts must not be overly tight or form-fitting, and must have an inseam length that is not longer than the middle of the kneecap, nor shorter than four inches above the top of the knee.
Cadets are required to provide the following:
- 1 black 2.25" duty belt from a reputable law enforcemt brand. The belt must be 2.25".
- 2 sets of serviceable handcuffs (standard chain links). Handcuffs must use a standard handcuff key, no proprietary locking mechanisms.
- 1 durable handcuff key
All other duty gear will be issued by the cadet's employing agency, or issued by ETPA. The items listed above are the only items that a cadet must provide. Further detailed information will be provided on the first day of the course.
Students will be required to furnish the following items:
- The most current version of the "Texas Criminal and Traffic Law Manual", available for purchase from the Kilgore College bookstore or directly from the publisher
- One 4-inch, 3-ring binder
- Adequate A4 sized lined binder paper, sufficient for taking notes and turning in written assignments
- Pencils and Pens (black and/or blue ink only)
- Note taking supplies as desired (highlighters, stickynotes, sticky tabs, etc..)
All BPOC/NBPOC students must use an ETPA issued firearm for all firearms training, with the exception of students who are employed by an agency that issues a firearm to the student while they are attending the academy, and will require the student to carry that firearm on duty upon their commissioning. Students who are unsure of whether or not they will be required to use an academy issued firearm should ask the ETPA Director during the first week of the academy.
All students using an agency issued firearm may shoot whatever ammunition their agency requires, provides, or directs them to use. They must provide:
- 500 rounds of pistol ammunition
- 250 rounds of .223/5.56 rifle ammunition
- 25 rounds of 12 ga. field load (low brass bird shot) ammunition)
All students using an ETPA provided firearm must provide:
- 500 rounds of at least 115 grain FMJ 9mm ammunition. Factory reloads are acceptable, as long as they are from a reputable ammunition provider. Steel and/or lacquered ammunition is not allowed.
- 250 rounds of .223/5.56 rifle ammunition. Factory reloads are acceptable, as long as they are from a reputable ammunition provider. Steel and/or lacquered ammunition is not allowed.
- 25 rounds of 12 ga. field load (low brass bird shot) ammunition.
Ammunition is not required until Firearms training occurs, typically in the later portions of the BPOC/NBPOC, and does not need to be purchased prior to the first day of class. Students with ammunition questions should direct them to ETPA Director Joe Cassin or ETPA Rangemaster Mike Augustine prior to purchasing ammunition.
Students attending the Basic Peace Officer Course and Night Basic Peace Office Course have identical uniform, ammunition, equipment, and classroom supply requirements.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding uniforms or required equipment.